Monday, April 2, 2012

Bulletproof?

The ideology behind this experiment is considered "bulletproof". That is to say, the expected result is indicated to be a pound per day on average. I was discouraged by last weeks result as it only yielded a 3 pound loss. Again, this is not a diet. But there has to be a quantifiable method of determining success. Total weight lost is that quantifiable determinant.

So I came into this week with an eye toward toughing it out. Peaks and valleys in the flow chart are to be expected. I stepped onto the scale to find a zero net loss for the week. I was, in a word, irate. After the minimal loss last week we cut some fats in the form of coconut milk from my daily intake. The result was that, for the first time in two weeks, I was feeling actual hunger from time to time.

My conclusion about why there was zero net loss this week was three fold. Hunger in this system is not ideal as a hungry body holds onto fat when it fears starvation. I consumed too much on my Eat Day. Though that is expressly detailed as the point of Eat Day. I consumed two cans of Mountain Dew throwback during our weekly gaming session (which is also my Eat Day). Those calories are empty. And though it's Natural Sugar, it's still a "Frankenfood". I knew better. But my craving for a flavored drink with my meal outweighed my over all sense of will. Each of those three issues could have impacted my body's ability to cope with this plan. But a net zero loss is still completely unacceptable.

Now, the designer of the plan says not to weigh yourself. Rather, he suggests, let the mirror be your scale. Well, this is a Science Experiment for me, quantifiable blah blah blah and all that. So the scale is part of the experiment. But I chose only to weigh myself first thing in the morning on Eat Day before breaking my fast. This week though, with the zero net loss, the amount I weighed after my Eat Day was also a valuable piece of information. How much of a weigh deficit and I working with. My assumption was "no more than the total weight of food I consumed" because, in a day, your body can't really process and store the food in a long term way. Therefore, I guestimated one maybe two pounds. The scale this morning bore that out. I hopped on and found myself to weight two pounds more than the day before. Now we know. It's unlikely I will conduct that particular sub-experiment again.


Despite my jaw clenching anger, I'm back on schedule while we discuss the problem with the plan's designer. His input should be invaluable; so, I'm willing to tough it out until he responds.


Day nineteen of 90. Discouragement is not valuable to the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment